Sage Health Centre advocates the acknowledgement of two medical emergencies during these unprecedented times. As a licensed residential addiction treatment facility, Sage Health Centre is committed to providing a safe healthy environment for our clients and staff in partnership with the BC Provincial Health Authority, Interior Health Authority and WorkSafe BC in response to the rapidly changing COVID-19 pandemic. Our team will continue to monitor and adapt to the latest best practice recommendations.
Pre-admission Screening Protocol: In addition to our standard telephone admission interview, all clients are specifically screened for symptoms of and potential exposure to COVID-19 prior to approving an admission to our residential treatment program.
- Clients participate in a virtual orientation via Zoom that includes a secondary COVID-19 screen and review of agency protocols and guidelines that includes preventative measures to stop potential exposure to COVID-19.
- Clients agree to remain onsite during their treatment program as all offsite activities are indefinitely cancelled with the exception of guided outdoor activities.
Admission Screening Protocol: All clients arriving onsite are screened prior admission to our treatment facility. Clients who may present with symptoms of COVID-19 are required to be tested prior to admission to Sage Health Centre. Clients may be referred to an available emergency response centre if they are unable to self-isolate until receiving a negative test result. During their admission process:
- Clients agree to hand sanitize when they arrive onsite.
- Clients agree to wear a mask during their admission process.
- Clients receive a COVID-19 fact sheet and review agency protocols and guidelines.
- Clients receive a personal sanitization kit.
- Admission staff is required to wear PPD (mask, face shield, and gloves).
Client Health and Wellness Protocol: In order to ensure the health and safety of our treatment community clients reside in private bedrooms. During their initial 14 days of treatment:
- Clients agree to wear masks whenever they are outside of their private bedrooms.
- Clients are regularly assessed for symptoms of COVID-19.
- Clients agree to socially distance in all communal areas of the facility.
Clients are under our physician’s care during the duration of their residential treatment program.
- Clients overall health and wellness are assessed daily by our support staff and clinical team.
- Clients receive daily reminders to maintain proactive preventative measures to ensure the health and safety of our treatment community.
- Clients who present with potential symptoms of COVID-19 will be tested and agree to be placed on an isolation protocol until they receive a negative test result.
- Staff providing care for clients on an isolation protocol are required to wear personal protective equipment (mask, face shield, isolation gown, and gloves).
- Clients who may test positive will remain on an isolation protocol while contact tracing and further directives is initiated by MHO.
Increased Hand Hygiene Protocol: Sage Health Centre has always promoted regular hand sanitization by providing hand sanitization stations throughout the facility. Increased hand hygiene measures include education regarding effective hand hygiene.
- Additional hand sanitizing stations have been installed in all areas for the facility.
- Best practice in effective hand hygiene is promoted as washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds is proven to be effective for protection from COVID-19.
- Signs have been placed in all areas of our treatment facility to remind and encourage clients and staff to be proactive in practicing effective hand hygiene.
Physical Distance Protocol: Clients and staff agree to maintain at least two meters separation from one another at all times.
- Signs are posted throughout the facility to remind clients and staff to maintain physical distance in the communal areas of their residence house, during group sessions, and in the dining room.
- Chairs in the group rooms and dining room have been placed in accordance with physical distance protocols.
- Clients and the clinical team agree to physical distance during individual sessions.
- Clients and the support staff agree to physical distance in the main support office.
Food Service Protocol: Our Red Seal chefs adhere to the highest standards of food safety and meal preparation.
- Plexiglass has been installed at the meal service station for additional protective measures.
- Our Red Seal chefs have implemented full service plated meals instead of buffet style service that includes individually wrapped cutlery in order to avoid potential cross contamination.
- Our dining room has been reconfigured in order to ensure that clients maintain physical distance during meals.
- Clients are assigned specific tables and chairs during meal times.
- Clients agree to sanitize their hands prior to receiving their meals.
- Support staff monitor mealtimes and sanitize tables and chairs after meals.
- The kitchen and dining room is closed between meals and snack times.
Facility Cleanliness and Sanitization Protocol: Our maintenance, housekeeping, and support staff adhere to the highest level of facility cleanliness.
- Plexiglas has been installed at the main support office desk for additional protective measures.
- All group rooms are sanitized before and after every group session.
- All resident houses are cleaned daily.
- All high touch surfaces and high traffic areas are cleaned frequently throughout the day.
- Clients are assigned specific times to use the laundry facilities. Machines will be sanitized between clients
- All residence telephones have been removed; clients have access to their personal cell phones at specific times. ell phones are sanitized prior to returning them to the client personal holds.
General Health and Safety Protocol: In order to ensure the health and safety of our clients and staff no visitors are not permitted on site at Sage Health Centre until further notice.
- Family or friends who drop off clients for admission need to remain in their vehicle.
- On site family or friend visitation is currently cancelled; clients are able to maintain daily contact with their family and friends via their cell phone, Facetime, email, or Zoom.
- On site family sessions are currently cancelled; family sessions are available via teleconference or Zoom.
- On site 12 step/SMART recovery meetings are currently cancelled; clients participate in virtual 12 step/SMART meetings via Zoom.
- On site alumni meetings are currently cancelled; Alumni participate in virtual alumni meetings via Zoom.
Staff Protocol: The staff at Sage Health Centre is committed to maintain best practice measures while in the community and while working onsite at our treatment facility.
- Staff will have received specific COVID-19 training.
- Staff will hand sanitize when they arrive on shift.
- Staff will adhere to proper hand hygiene according to WorkSafe guidelines.
- Staff will maintain two meters distance from clients and other staff members.
- Staff who cannot maintain social distance agree to wear a mask when interacting with clients or other staff members.
- Staff is diligent in regularly cleaning and disinfecting high-touch surfaces.
- Staff who may become ill while working on site have been instructed to immediately hand sanitize, put on a mask, inform their supervisor, and leave the facility.
- Staff have been instructed to regularly self-screen for symptoms of COVID-19.
- Staff who are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or may have been exposed to someone who is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 have been instructed to self-isolate and remain home.
- Staff returning from travel outside of Canada have been instructed to self-isolate for 14 days prior to returning to work.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How can I determine if myself, a friend, or family member has an alcohol or drug addiction?
Substance addiction to alcohol or other drugs is a result of using substances as an unhealthy coping mechanism due to physical, emotional, mental pain. The following questions will assist you in determining if you, or a friend or family member may have developed a substance dependency to alcohol and/or drugs.
- Has anyone ever suggested you quit or cut back on your drug/alcohol use?
- Has drinking or using affected your reputation?
- Have you made promises to control your drinking or using and then broken them?
- Have you ever switched to different drinks or drugs or changed your using pattern in an effort to control or reduce your consumption?
- Have you ever gotten into financial, legal, or marital difficulties due to using or drinking?
- Have you ever lost time from work because of using or drinking?
- Have you ever sneaked or hidden your use?
- On occasion, do you feel uncomfortable if alcohol or your drug is not available?
- Do you continue drinking or using when friends or family suggest you have had enough?
- Have you ever felt guilty or ashamed about your drinking or using or about what you did while under the influence?
- Do you use or drink alone?
- Do you use or drink more than usual when under pressure, angry, or depressed?
- Are you able to drink or use more now without feeling it, compared to when you first started using?
- Have you lost interest in other activities or noticed a decrease in your ambition as a result of your drinking or using?
- Have you had the shakes or tremors following heavy drinking or using or not using for a period of time?
- Do you want to drink or use at a particular time each day?
- Is drinking or using jeopardizing your job?
If you answer “yes” to three or more of the above questions we encourage you to closely evaluate your substance use. We are available for a confidential, no obligation telephone consultation.
How do I get referred to Sage Health Centre?
Self referrals are welcome to contact us directly; referrals are also co-ordinated by family members, counsellors, employee assistance programs, extended medical programs or physicians.
Do I have to go to Detox first before being eligible for treatment?
Clients are required to abstain from mood altering substances for a minimum of 5 days prior to entering treatment. Medical detox ensures physical safety during an acute withdrawal phase; detox requirements depend on the substance use history including: the substances used and the length and frequency of use. Detoxification requirements are determined during the confidential initial telephone screening and can arranged at no additional charge.
Do I need to have a medical exam and/or a Tuberculosis test done prior to entering treatment?
No. A medical exam and TB test will be performed by our physician upon admission into our program.
How long is the treatment program?
Sage Health Centre offers 28 to 84 days of an abstinence-based residential treatment program depending on client need. Our minimum commitment is 28 days; your treatment plan is assessed can be extended while in treatment.
How much does treatment cost?
Sage Health Centre is a private agency, that offers self-referred clients and EFAP referral agencies an exceptional value for an exceptional program. Click here to view our fee structure.
What are the accommodations like?
Our home-style facility offers gender specific resident houses; our clients are assigned a private bedroom and bathroom. Each resident house has it own living room and TV viewing area.
Is food included in the cost of treatment?
Yes, clients are served breakfast, lunch and dinner; our Red Seal chefs take pride in providing our clients with a balance diet of tasty nutritious meals.
Is smoking allowed at Sage Health Centre?
Yes, smoking is allowed while in treatment. Although this facility does not enforce smoking cessation, options such as Champix, nicotine patches and/or nicotine gum are available upon request. Clients are educated regarding the addiction cycle and are encouraged to discontinue smoking within the first six months of recovery.
Where is Sage Health Center located?
Sage Health Center is located on secluded private property in the heart of Kamloops, BC. Our home style facilities offer semi-private and private rooms is located at:
101 Columbia Street,
Kamloops, BC V2C 2S7
How do I get further information about Sage Health Centre?
For further information about Sage Health Centre, please