Addiction is medically recognized chronic, progressive, and relapsing disorder that can be effectively treated by maintaining abstinence one day at a time. Addiction parallels all other chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes as there is usually a genetic predisposition; they are progressive, chronic and life threatening. Studies have shown that a change in lifestyle is an important component to the treatment of all chronic conditions/diseases.
While in treatment, our client’s overall health and wellness is monitored by our medical director, Dr. Rob Baker and other medical professionals. Additional medical services include a resident clinical massage, resident health and fitness trainer, and access to psychiatrists, chiropractors, physiotherapists or dentists by appointment if required.
Our clinical director, Sue Adamson, is a passionate advocate for health and wellness and specializes in an integrative approach to addictions recovery. She is certified in a variety of modalities including personal training, active rehabilitation exercise, nutrition and yoga.
- Clients are introduced to the wellness wheel in order to set realistic goals in achieving a healthy balanced lifestyle in their recovery.
- Clients participate in relaxation groups that incorporate stress management and relaxation techniques such as breath work, progressive muscle relaxation, mindfulness based relapse prevention, meditation, yoga and Tai Chi.
- Clients are educated in building a healthy nutritional foundation that assists in reducing the craving cycle by utilizing the Canada’s Food Guide and the glycemic index.
- Clients receive a membership to the YMCA which is a full fitness facility that includes a pool, sauna and hot tub.
- Clients participate in other recreational activities as a group during their free time.
We at Sage believe that empowering our clients though education and counselling, encouraging our clients in developing a foundation in the 12 step/SMART programs and adopting a wellness-oriented lifestyle is the key to successful long term recovery.